Red

17 Comments
I think the rarest color that I have in my photographs, is red. I am probably consciously avoiding this color, as it is very striking and at times, too distracting from the main subject of the photograph. I have been trying my best to exclude red objects or backgrounds in my photographs but I am starting to think that might not be a good idea after all. I have met many new photographer friends who opened up my mind to possibilities of finding beauty in the world of bolder, and brighter colors. 

I looked through my own collection of photographs and found not many with dominant red color. However, here is the thing: the few that I have found throughout a year or two of my own archives, I actually do like these strong, red images very, very much. 

The interesting fact: the photos in this blog were taken with Olympus XZ-2, E-P1, E-M5, E-M1, E-M5, E-M5 Mark II, E-M10, E-M10 Mark II, Panasonic GM1 and Fujifilm X100.


















I really should train my eyes to appreciate the beauty of color more, and pay more attention to the play of matching and opposing colors in my composition, especially when I am shooting on the street. Careful and smart play of color can always bring out interesting images, and honestly, I have not paid much attention to this. 



17 comments:

  1. Wholeheartedly agree, Robin!
    Red is the strongest colour and sometimes I can't handle it even though it occupies just a small portion of the photo.

    I do, however, have a photo dominated with colour red: a bus with bright red paint job and a girl passing by, donned a red dress with a slight hint of blue ribbon.
    It's on the queue for my daily upload and hopefully won't distract my gallery too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I am sure that girl and bus photo is a great one. Keep an eye out for bold colors!

      Delete
  2. I love red--my car is red--by it's difficult to get it right.

    This time of year, with CNY, there is more red than normal.

    Love that Volvo and the coils of incense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it is difficult to get it right! Yes, Red is auspicious for CNY!

      Delete
  3. What did you mean by the interesting fact?
    Of course as a food photographer red is often included but when doing the quarterly meditation brochure other than fall colors I also seem to have avoided red for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting fact: photos were taken with a plethora of different cameras. Almost every single camera that I have used for the past few years. This was not intentionally arranged.

      Delete
  4. Robin, I do not think you are alone with keeping certain colours from your images.
    Red is either stunning or very distracting to my eye and I have a similar aversion to including it.
    Oddly I love Orange and try and use that when I can. Explain that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll just point out that by putting a whole bunch of red in one post, the viewer's eyes are already numbed to it after a few shots!
    It's like a meal where every single dish is sweet.
    Better to have it jump out and grab you in the occasional shot.

    The other thing that rests the eye is to have a mixture of hues, saturations, and brightness that dance all around that side of the color wheel. It comes in many intensities, not just primary Ferrari/candy-apple/fire-engine.
    Cheers, and keep it comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd never know you don't just drink RED. Amazing shots. Tip of the hat, you make your camera sing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your workers themed pics are always astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you've been reading your Gordon Lewis book, Robin. I think the two of you are the best street photographers in current times. I enjoy your blog, as I enjoyed his, Shutterfinger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pics are really amazing...

    Big Thanks from RTIbyRT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! great images...but if you want to see more wedding photography in sheboygan you can visit ML photo and Design.


    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep Sharing such beautiful post and images. Big thanks from Charlotte Wedding Photography - AmoreVitaPhotos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see blog like this. You can see more beautiful wedding photography by BecauseKissesMatter one of Best Wedding Photographers in Baltimore

    ReplyDelete